The families of seven workers who were killed in an attack by unknown armed men at a factory Nangarhar province on Friday called on the Afghan government to probe the incident and bring perpetrators to justice.
The workers were from Bamiyan and Ghazni provinces and joined the factory a week ago where they were paid 300 Afs a day. Hashim, 23, was one of them who had recently returned to the country from Iran.
“His purpose was to work and get 400 to 500 Afs daily, but he was martyred. After this, I will work in his place,” said Mohammad Arif, Hashim’s brother.
“We planned to hold his wedding ceremony and we wanted to borrow some money from our relatives, but his destiny changed,” said Gul Mohammad, father of Mohammad Hashim.
Khudadad, 27, Habib, 24, and Reza, 17, who were killed in the attack were siblings. Their bodies were transferred to Ghazni.
“Firstly, this impacts the unity and solidarity of the people. Secondly, it wipes out the trust of the public. Thirdly it provokes the people against the system,” said Ibrahim, a student.
“The recent incident has roots in extremism. Extremism has spread its roots inside the society in some areas of Afghanistan,” said Abdul Qadir Behishti, a university lecturer.
Nangarhar police chief Gen. Juma Gul Himmat said four suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident.
Photos from the incident show that the victims had been shot to death and their hands had been bound.
The motive behind the attack is unknown so far.
No group has claimed responsibility.