The death toll from Friday’s truck bombing in Pul-e-Alam City, the center of Logar province rose to 26 as rescue workers worked throughout the night to recover those trapped under the rubble.
A 40 days old toddler was also among those wounded in the blast.
Most of those killed and wounded in the blast were students and civilians.
Meanwhile, Acting Minister of Interior Hayatullah Hayat said that another 25 civilians were killed and 56 more wounded in separate Taliban attacks in other parts of the country in less than 24 hours before the start of withdrawal of foreign forces from the country.
“Overall, the Taliban is a group that has foreign support. Any attack and killing that are occurring here, without any doubt, the Taliban and their backers in the region are behind them,” said Hayat.
Most of the victims were the students who had gathered there in Pul-e-Alam for university entrance exam.
They were from Azra district of Logar.
“I was in a tailoring shop. It was near the dusk and we were preparing for Iftar dinner when the tragedy happened,” said Allah Noor, a survivor.
“There was a huge blast. All glasses and doors fell on us. A Muslim never does this kind of act,” said Shah Mansour, a resident of Logar.
The suicide attacker detonated the truck full of explosions near a residential houses and a hospital.
“It is a barbaric act. They are just killing the Muslims without any reason and crime,” said a resident of Logar who refused to be named.
“It has no justification. No religion accepts this. They bring bomb and kill the defenseless people,” said Ghulam Hazrat, a resident of Kabul.
“We have registered 71 wounded people and 21 martyrs. A 40 days toddler and women were also among those wounded,” said Mirwais Latifzai, a doctor at Kabul Emergency Hospital.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. But the Afghan government in a statement on Friday night blamed the Taliban for the blast.