The Taliban conducted 141 attacks over the last 24 hours, mostly in Uruzgan, Zabul, Kandahar, Nangarhar, Badakhshan and Takhar provinces, sources said.
Information obtained by TOLOnews shows that in attacks by the Taliban in the last 24 hours at least 20 people were killed, including Peramqul Ziaee, a commander of public uprising forces in Takhar.
Information obtained by TOLOnews shows that Taliban in the last 24 hours at least 20 people were killed, including Peramqul Ziaee, a commander of public uprising forces in Takhar.
But the Defense Ministry said that the Taliban’s casualties were more than 100 in the last 24 hours. The Taliban rejected this figure.
Data collected by TOLOnews shows that 438 members of Afghan forces and civilians were killed and more than 500 others were wounded in the last 30 days. The data shows that 190 bombings, targeted attacks and offensives happened in the last month.
A reliable source meanwhile reported a Taliban attack on an outpost on the outskirts of Pul-e-Khumri city in Baghlan province. Sources said that three members of the police special unit were killed in the attack.
Meanwhile, eight members of the public uprising forces were killed in a Taliban attack in Warduj district of Badakhshan province, three policemen were killed in Taliban attack in Zabul, two people were killed in a targeted attack in Kandahar, one person was killed in Gardez and one person was killed in an attack by unidentified armed men in Farah over the last 24 hours.
“Attacks have been intensified in Uruzgan over the last few days. There are clashes every day,” said Amanullah Hotaki, head of the Uruzgan provincial council.
“We witness blasts in Kunar every day. The government should prevent such attacks,” said Nasir Kamawal, a member of the Kunar provincial council.
Some security officials said that May 1st witnessed an increase in Taliban attacks in parts of the country.
“Over the last 24 hours, attacks were carried out in Panjwai, Arghistan, Maiwand, Shah Wali Kot, Nesh, Mianshin and Takhta Pul districts and other outposts,” said Jamal Barikzai, spokesman for the Kandahar police.
The government forces said that all Taliban attacks were pushed back and they suffered heavy casualties.
This comes as a US forces spokesman Col. Sonny Leggett on Saturday said that Kandahar Airfield received ineffective indirect fire on Saturday afternoon. No injury to personnel or damage to equipment, he said.
Referring to this attack, US and NATO forces commander in Afghanistan Gen. Scott Miller said: “A return to violence would be one senseless and tragic. But make no mistake, we have the military means to respond forcefully to any type of attacks against the coalition and the military means to support the Afghan security forces. That would be a mistake to move in that direction.”
“Security forces are in a better position,” said Fawad Aman, a spokesman for the Ministry of Defense. “The Taliban is faced with defeat on the battlefield and all their focus is on harming civilians.”
The US forces started their withdrawal from Afghanistan on May 1st.
The Defense Ministry said that Camp Antonik in the Washir district in the southern province of Helmand was officially handed over to the ANA’s 215 Maiwand Corp on Sunday.
The ministry said the camp will be used as a base for Afghan special forces.