The country’s western area witnessed deadly attacks over the last 24 hours with over 20 army soldiers killed and many civilians wounded, according to local officials.
According to officials and sources, 20 soldiers were killed in Farah, 4 in Baghlan, 8 in Badakhshan and 5 in Herat in the last 24 hours.
Sources from Farah said that at least 20 members of the Afghan National Army were killed in a Taliban attack on an outpost in Bala Boluk district in Farah on Sunday night.
“It was not a base, it was an outpost for the safety of the base… The situation in other parts of Farah is under control,” said Taj Mohammad Jahid, the governor of Farah.
“The outpost has been destroyed,” said Dadullah Qani, head of the provincial council in Farah.
A hand grenade exploded near a school for girls in the city of Farah on Monday, injuring 20 civilians and a soldier, according to local sources
Meanwhile, Badakhshan, Herat, Kabul, Logar, Nangarhar, Baghlan and Helmand provinces also witnessed security incidents and Taliban attacks in the last 24 hours. In these provinces, at least 19 civilians and security forces were killed and 22 more were wounded.
“The attacks will increase but they will not achieve anything because they will increase people’s hate toward Taliban activities,” said former Afghan intelligence chief Rahmatullah Nabil.
Ataullah Afghan, head of Helmand's provincial council, said the province has witnessed heavy clashes between security forces and the Taliban in the last two days, in which eight soldiers have died and 20 more have been wounded.
Afghan said that at least 10 outposts in Helmand have fallen to the Taliban over the last two days, and he reiterated that the province requires the government's full attention.
Figures by security agencies show that 164 small and large attacks by the Taliban have occurred over the last 24 hours, up from 141 on the previous day.
The Ministry of Defense in a statement said that 62 Taliban were killed and 58 more were wounded by Afghan forces defending positions in Laghman, Ghazni, Balkh, Herat, Faryab, Farah and Badakhshan provinces in the last 24 hours.
The ministry in a separate statement said that 11 militants, including 9 Taliban members and 2 al Qaeda members, were killed in Nahr-e-Siraj district in Helmand province on Sunday.
“The Taliban, by increasing violence, provides the grounds for more casualties for its members because the Afghan Defense and Security Forces are much more ready, firm and serious against the terrorist group,” Defense Ministry spokesman Rohullah Ahmadzai said.
“We hope that the government makes better plans against the enemy so that we see an end to the bloodshed,” said Amir Mohammad Khaksar, an MP from Takhar.
The increased violence coincides with US forces having started their withdrawal from the country on May 1. So far, the US has handed over one camp to Afghan forces in Helmand province.