Latest news
تصویر بندانگشتی

A Closer Look at the Kabul School Bombing

It was a quiet Saturday afternoon and hundreds of girls were leaving the school when the deadly incident occurred. Suddenly many students found themselves among smoke and blood and debris from a car bomb attack that happened in front of the entrance gate of Sayed-ul-Shuhada High School in the west of Kabul.

The car bomb attack was followed by two IED blasts that were placed nearby, according to the Ministry of Interior, which put the death toll at 52. But eyewitnesses and victims’ relatives said 63 people--most of whom were schoolgirls--were killed and at least 150 more were wounded.

Residents said the students were leaving the school when the car bomb detonated.

Two more blasts happened shortly after the first.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

The school enrolls over 7,000 students in two shifts. The late shift, in which the blasts happened, contained at least 2,000 girls.

Videos shared on social media show victims’ families tirelessly searching for their loved ones whose bags and clothes were left in the area, ripped open by the blast.

“All are innocent children… All are underage girls. All were martyred mercilessly. One didn’t have legs, another didn’t have a head,” said Abdul Latif, a resident of the Dasht-e-Barchi area in Kabul.

“The car (that exploded) was parked there from 1pm that day… And the incident happened after 4pm. If you do not see this Mr. Ashraf Ghani, leave the power, and don’t bother people,” said Hadi, a resident of Dasht-e-Barchi in Kabul.

All of the students who were killed or wounded were under 18 years old.

“The enemies of the people of Afghanistan and the enemies of Islam will never be able to defeat us by such acts. We will send our children to school to defeat their enemies with education and pen,” said Marzia, a resident of the area.

“It shows the cruelty of the terrorist groups who killed our children and youth to fuel a psychological war,” said Mahmoud Abdullah, a resident of the area.

Om Sunday, the relatives of the victims were still searching for the belongings of their loved ones at the blast scene. Sunday afternoon. Sediqa Jafari, who is blind and lives in the area, said they are tired and there is no more space for them to suffer such pain.

“Anyone who does this in this holy month will be defeated and is a cruel enemy. It is evident who does this,” Sediqa said.

Two more attacks targeted education centers in the west of Kabul in less than two years, killing dozens of students.

“We are working thoroughly to find the perpetrators of the case to punish them,” Interior Ministry’s spokesman Tariq Arian said.

Dasht-e-Barchi residents said the repeat of deadly attacks in the west of Kabul shows that the government “has failed” to ensure the safety of the area.

A Closer Look at the Kabul School Bombing

The car bomb attack was followed by two IED blasts that were placed nearby, according to the Ministry of Interior.

تصویر بندانگشتی

It was a quiet Saturday afternoon and hundreds of girls were leaving the school when the deadly incident occurred. Suddenly many students found themselves among smoke and blood and debris from a car bomb attack that happened in front of the entrance gate of Sayed-ul-Shuhada High School in the west of Kabul.

The car bomb attack was followed by two IED blasts that were placed nearby, according to the Ministry of Interior, which put the death toll at 52. But eyewitnesses and victims’ relatives said 63 people--most of whom were schoolgirls--were killed and at least 150 more were wounded.

Residents said the students were leaving the school when the car bomb detonated.

Two more blasts happened shortly after the first.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

The school enrolls over 7,000 students in two shifts. The late shift, in which the blasts happened, contained at least 2,000 girls.

Videos shared on social media show victims’ families tirelessly searching for their loved ones whose bags and clothes were left in the area, ripped open by the blast.

“All are innocent children… All are underage girls. All were martyred mercilessly. One didn’t have legs, another didn’t have a head,” said Abdul Latif, a resident of the Dasht-e-Barchi area in Kabul.

“The car (that exploded) was parked there from 1pm that day… And the incident happened after 4pm. If you do not see this Mr. Ashraf Ghani, leave the power, and don’t bother people,” said Hadi, a resident of Dasht-e-Barchi in Kabul.

All of the students who were killed or wounded were under 18 years old.

“The enemies of the people of Afghanistan and the enemies of Islam will never be able to defeat us by such acts. We will send our children to school to defeat their enemies with education and pen,” said Marzia, a resident of the area.

“It shows the cruelty of the terrorist groups who killed our children and youth to fuel a psychological war,” said Mahmoud Abdullah, a resident of the area.

Om Sunday, the relatives of the victims were still searching for the belongings of their loved ones at the blast scene. Sunday afternoon. Sediqa Jafari, who is blind and lives in the area, said they are tired and there is no more space for them to suffer such pain.

“Anyone who does this in this holy month will be defeated and is a cruel enemy. It is evident who does this,” Sediqa said.

Two more attacks targeted education centers in the west of Kabul in less than two years, killing dozens of students.

“We are working thoroughly to find the perpetrators of the case to punish them,” Interior Ministry’s spokesman Tariq Arian said.

Dasht-e-Barchi residents said the repeat of deadly attacks in the west of Kabul shows that the government “has failed” to ensure the safety of the area.

Share this post