Afghan forces have launched operations to retake three districts--one in Baghlan, one in Maidan Wardak and one in Logar province two days after a three-day ceasefire ended, according to army forces on the ground.
The centers of Charkh district in Logar, Burka district in Baghlan and Nerkh district in Maidan Wardak fell to the Taliban weeks ago.
“In order to deploy our forces in areas where our troops made a tactical retreat, there is a proper military plan. We will be redeployed in those areas with more power and the enemy will not be allowed to grow,” said Rohullah Ahmadzai, spokesman for Defense Ministry.
A lawmaker from Baghlan said that after fall of the Burka district in the province, clashes have reached the outskirts of the city of Pul-e-Khumri.
“Baghlan needs serious attention as it is an important province,” said Asadullah Shahbaz, an MP from Baghlan. “This is because it is a connecting point for nine northern provinces. If it faces a problem, nine provinces will face the problem.”
“The government should have the feeling that when it loses one place, it should retake it. Or it should maintain that place primarily and it should review its decision about those places that have been lost,” said Mohibullah Zaheer, a military affairs analyst.
Meanwhile, Second Vice President Sarwar Danesh blamed the Taliban for making excuses in the peace process.
“The Taliban so far has left the negotiating table and a political solution by using different excuses; they are pushing for their military attacks, terror and violence,” Danesh said on Monday.
Meanwhile, Nangarhar, Laghman, Maindan Wardak and Kunduz have faced attacks in the last 24 hours.
The Afghan army said that the Taliban has suffered “heavy losses” in Afghan forces operations, which has been denied by the group.