Latest news
تصویر بندانگشتی

16 People Killed in Attack on Balkh District Police HQ: Official

At least 16 people, including 2 civilians, were killed in the recent attack on the police headquarters in Balkh province, and 117 others, including 67 civilians, were wounded, said Mohammad Younus Stanekzai, the Balkh district governor.

According to local officials, 10 houses and 80 shops were also damaged in the attack.

“Unfortunately, the district building was totally damaged--100 percent--while the police HQ building was also damaged 80 percent,” said Mohammad Younus Stanekzai, the Balkh district governor.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.

TOLOnews’ correspondent Sayed Mohammad Arif Musavi visited the area three days after the attack and said on Wednesday that there are still security threats in the district. 

Musavi painted a grim picture of the attack's aftermath.

“Administrative affairs have been suspended for two days,” said Stanekzai.

Eyewitnesses said that the majority of those killed in the blast were civilians.

“No one is visiting the city and bazaar, they are all afraid,” said Abdul Karim, a resident in Balkh.

The security agencies have so far not commented on how a truck full of explosives managed to reach such a highly secure area.

“Our personnel have been deployed in the area, there is no need to feel fear, everyone can return to their work,” said Zia-ul-Haq Toofan, the commander of the Balkh district police.

16 People Killed in Attack on Balkh District Police HQ: Official

The security agencies have so far not commented on how a truck full of explosives managed to reach such a highly secure area.

تصویر بندانگشتی

At least 16 people, including 2 civilians, were killed in the recent attack on the police headquarters in Balkh province, and 117 others, including 67 civilians, were wounded, said Mohammad Younus Stanekzai, the Balkh district governor.

According to local officials, 10 houses and 80 shops were also damaged in the attack.

“Unfortunately, the district building was totally damaged--100 percent--while the police HQ building was also damaged 80 percent,” said Mohammad Younus Stanekzai, the Balkh district governor.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.

TOLOnews’ correspondent Sayed Mohammad Arif Musavi visited the area three days after the attack and said on Wednesday that there are still security threats in the district. 

Musavi painted a grim picture of the attack's aftermath.

“Administrative affairs have been suspended for two days,” said Stanekzai.

Eyewitnesses said that the majority of those killed in the blast were civilians.

“No one is visiting the city and bazaar, they are all afraid,” said Abdul Karim, a resident in Balkh.

The security agencies have so far not commented on how a truck full of explosives managed to reach such a highly secure area.

“Our personnel have been deployed in the area, there is no need to feel fear, everyone can return to their work,” said Zia-ul-Haq Toofan, the commander of the Balkh district police.

Share this post