The United Nations is preparing for a likely further displacement of civilians in Afghanistan after US and international troops leave the country in September, UN refugee chief Filippo Grandi said on Monday as quoted by Reuters.
Violence has remained high in the country over the last two months, leading to the displacement of thousands of families in northern and southern Afghanistan.
He cited an attack on deminers last week in Baghlan province.
“This is a tragic indicator of the type of violence that may be resurfacing in Afghanistan, and with the withdrawal of the international troops this is possibly or likely going to become worse,” he said as quoted by Reuters.
“Therefore,” he said, “we are doing contingency planning inside the country for further displacement in the neighboring countries in case people might cross borders.”
According to UN’s refugee agency (UNHCR), there are currently some 2.5 million registered refugees from Afghanistan globally, while another 4.8 million have been displaced within the country.
Grandi said strong international support was needed for peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban.
“It's political action that should substitute conflict but, of course, the risk (of further displacement) is there and we need to be prepared,” he added as quoted by Reuters.
Earlier this month the United States announced more than $266 million in new humanitarian aid for Afghanistan, bringing to nearly $3.9 billion the total amount of such aid it has provided since 2002.