Latest news
Thumbnail

Badghis: Attack on Qala-e-Naw Again Pushed Back

Clashes between security forces and the Taliban began on Wednesday after the group attacked several parts of the city.   

Afghan security forces on Thursday again pushed back a Taliban attack on Qala-e-Naw, the capital of Badghis province in western Afghanistan.

Clashes between security forces and the Taliban began on Wednesday after the group attacked several parts of the city.   

Thursday morning the Taliban launched attacks close to the police HQ building, military base, and the National Directorate of Security (NDS) department in the city, the source said.  

"The forces again responded to the Taliban’s attack,” said Shir Aqa Alokozai, adding that “the situation in Qala-e-Naw is under the control of the security forces.” 

Military commander Hasibullah Akhundzada said: “In the morning there were heavy clashes between the security forces and the enemy in Qala-e-Naw but now there are none, and the Taliban has fled after suffering casualties in those areas where they attacked.” 

Earlier on Thursday,  Ziauddin Akazi, an MP from Badghis, said that the Taliban had resumed their attacks on the city, and he requested reinforcements from the government. He also raised concerns about the civilian situation in the city.  

At least two civilians were killed and more than 60 others were wounded in the fighting over the past two days, according to the health officials. 

Local officials said that several security officials had surrendered to the Taliban before the group launched attacks on the city. 

Khawja Murad Murad, a security official, Abubaker Muradi, deputy head of the National Directorate of Security (NDS), Sarajuddin Payman, a commander of a security outpost, Omar Azimi, security officer of PD1, Nadir, a commander of an outpost of the police public protection unit, Khir Mohammad Arefi, a commander of a territorial army, and dozens of other security forces members surrendered to the Taliban without any clash, according to the officials.  

Khan Jan Zafar and Mohammad Farid Akhizai, two members of the provincial council, also surrendered to the Taliban, officials said.

However, the Ministry of Defense on Thursday morning issued a statement saying that “a large number of Afghan commandos have arrived on Wednesday night in Qala-e-Naw and clearing operations are ongoing.”  

The ministry also said that “at least 69 Taliban were killed, and 23 others were wounded during Wednesday’s airstrike in several parts of Qala-e-Naw.”  

The Taliban has not commented on the attack on Qala-e-Naw.  

In the meantime, local officials in Herat province said that security forces retreated from Zenda Jan and Keshk-e-Kohna districts of the province last night.  

Some parts of Pashtoon Zarghoon, Kohsan and Shindand districts of Herat also fell to the Taliban since last night, according to officials. 

Badghis: Attack on Qala-e-Naw Again Pushed Back

The clash started on Wednesday after the Taliban attacked several parts of the city.

Thumbnail

Clashes between security forces and the Taliban began on Wednesday after the group attacked several parts of the city.   

Afghan security forces on Thursday again pushed back a Taliban attack on Qala-e-Naw, the capital of Badghis province in western Afghanistan.

Clashes between security forces and the Taliban began on Wednesday after the group attacked several parts of the city.   

Thursday morning the Taliban launched attacks close to the police HQ building, military base, and the National Directorate of Security (NDS) department in the city, the source said.  

"The forces again responded to the Taliban’s attack,” said Shir Aqa Alokozai, adding that “the situation in Qala-e-Naw is under the control of the security forces.” 

Military commander Hasibullah Akhundzada said: “In the morning there were heavy clashes between the security forces and the enemy in Qala-e-Naw but now there are none, and the Taliban has fled after suffering casualties in those areas where they attacked.” 

Earlier on Thursday,  Ziauddin Akazi, an MP from Badghis, said that the Taliban had resumed their attacks on the city, and he requested reinforcements from the government. He also raised concerns about the civilian situation in the city.  

At least two civilians were killed and more than 60 others were wounded in the fighting over the past two days, according to the health officials. 

Local officials said that several security officials had surrendered to the Taliban before the group launched attacks on the city. 

Khawja Murad Murad, a security official, Abubaker Muradi, deputy head of the National Directorate of Security (NDS), Sarajuddin Payman, a commander of a security outpost, Omar Azimi, security officer of PD1, Nadir, a commander of an outpost of the police public protection unit, Khir Mohammad Arefi, a commander of a territorial army, and dozens of other security forces members surrendered to the Taliban without any clash, according to the officials.  

Khan Jan Zafar and Mohammad Farid Akhizai, two members of the provincial council, also surrendered to the Taliban, officials said.

However, the Ministry of Defense on Thursday morning issued a statement saying that “a large number of Afghan commandos have arrived on Wednesday night in Qala-e-Naw and clearing operations are ongoing.”  

The ministry also said that “at least 69 Taliban were killed, and 23 others were wounded during Wednesday’s airstrike in several parts of Qala-e-Naw.”  

The Taliban has not commented on the attack on Qala-e-Naw.  

In the meantime, local officials in Herat province said that security forces retreated from Zenda Jan and Keshk-e-Kohna districts of the province last night.  

Some parts of Pashtoon Zarghoon, Kohsan and Shindand districts of Herat also fell to the Taliban since last night, according to officials. 

Share this post