The spokesperson for India's foreign ministry, Shri Arindam Bagchi, said on Sunday that the consulate in southern Kandahar province is not closed, contrary to some Indian media reports. However, Indian personnel have been evacuated, the spokesperson said.
"India is closely monitoring the evolving security situation in Afghanistan. The safety and security of our personnel is paramount. The Consulate General of India in Kandahar has not been closed,” Shri Arindam Bagchi said.
“However, due to the intense fighting near Kandahar city, India ... personnel have been brought back for the time being. I want to emphasize that this is a purely temporary measure until the situation stabilizes. The Consulate continues to operate through our local staff members,” Bagchi said.
“Arrangements are being made to ensure continued delivery of visa and consular services through our embassy in Kabul,” he said.
“As an important partner of Afghanistan’s, India remains committed to a peaceful, sovereign and democratic Afghanistan,” he added.
Previously, Indian media reported that the Indian consulate was closed in Kandahar due to security issues.
Around 50 diplomats and other staff members at the consulate in Kandahar have been evacuated in view of the "intense fighting near Kandahar city" India has said.
Personnel at the consulate were flown to Delhi by air force planes, NDTV reported.
On Friday, the Taliban launched an attack on Kandahar city's District 7 and took over at least two security outposts, sources said. But security officials said Afghan forces prevented the group from advancing further into the area.
Taliban has control over 10 districts in Kandahar, according to the sources.