The United Nations mission in Afghanistan on Friday confirmed an attack on its office by “anti-government elements” on Friday that led to the death of a security guard and wounded "several others."
The UN condemned the attack and said that “the attack targeting entrances of the clearly marked United Nations facility was carried out by Anti-Government Elements.”
Sources from Herat said the attack was conducted by the Taliban. The group so far has not commented on the attack.
UN said that it is urgently seeking to establish a full picture about the attack and for this purpose is in contact with the relevant parties.
“This attack against the United Nations is deplorable and we condemn it in the strongest terms,” said Deborah Lyons, the United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Afghanistan. “Our first thoughts are with the family of the officer slain and we wish a speedy recovery to those injured.”
No UN personnel was hurt in the incident, in which entrances were attacked by rocket-propelled grenades and gunfire, UN said.
“The perpetrators of this attack must be identified and brought to account,” said Lyons.
Attacks against civilian UN personnel and compounds are prohibited under international law, and may amount to war crimes, UN said.
Meanwhile, the EU envoy in Afghanistan, Andreas von Brandt, said that the European Union condemns the attack on UN office in Herat "in the strongest possible terms."
"The Taliban have to account for the crime that will be considered an attack against all of us. It is contrary to all assurances given," he said.
This comes as clashes entered the second day in the southern parts of the city of Herat on Friday. All flights were canceled at the Herat airport following the clashes, sources said.