The Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project Afghanistan (ACLED) in a report said that rate of violence against women and civilians has surged in Afghanistan.
The report was released by ACLED in cooperation with the Afghan Peace Watch and covered the rate of violence against civilians and women in Afghanistan.
“In January and February 2022, ACLED records the highest number of political violence targeting women events since the start of ACLED coverage in 2017. Of the political violence targeting women in early 2022, as of 15 March, 75% of recorded events are perpetrated by the Taliban, with the remaining 25% committed by unidentified assailants,” the report said. “Political violence targeting women by the de facto Taliban government already exceeds previous years of state violence targeting civilian women in the ACLED dataset back to 2017.”
“The Afghan women are extremely concerned about their humanitarian situation under the ruling of the Taliban because there is no accountability and there is no (supportive) organization in Afghanistan,” said Shumayl, a women rights’ activist.
The Islamic Emirate denied the report.
“A limited number of women were detained to be advised but they were freed soon,” said Inamullah Samangani, deputy spokesman for the Islamic Emirate.
The report also underscored a surge in violence against women.
The Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED) is a disaggregated data collection, analysis, and crisis mapping project—which is active in 191 countries around the world.