Dozens of worshipers were killed and wounded in a blast on Thursday that targeted a mosque in Mazar-e-Sharif, the capital of Balkh province.
The Si-Dukan Mosque was hit by a blast while it was being visited by crowds of worshipers.
Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack, according to a statement on the group's Telegram channel.
The head of the provincial department of security, Mohammad Asif Waziri, said that the blast was due to explosives placed inside the mosque.
“I can only say that the blast was due to explosives,” he said. “Unfortunately, 25 people were martyred and wounded. Around 10 people were martyred, and 15 others were wounded.”
However, some sources said 31 people were killed and 87 were wounded.
Idris is one of the wounded. “I was here when the attack happened. When they say (the number of casualties) is around 20 to 25, (they) lie. The first and second line of the prayers were severely hit and only the people in the third and fourth lines were safe.”
According to the witnesses, around 400 people were attending the mosque for prayers.
“It was a very horrific incident. The number of the victims was high,” said Mohamad Yasin, a witness.
“Our Shia people gathered to pray here. I went to the hospital to give blood but they didn’t let me. The casualties are high,” said Sayed Ali, a witness.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
The residents of Mazar-e-Sharif are in shock from the blast and called for the perpetrators to be held accountable.