New figures by security institutions reveal that 171 personnel of the Afghan National Security Forces lost their lives in clashes with the Taliban in a week, despite an unannounced ceasefire between the two sides that is part of the peace efforts by the Afghan government and its international partners.
250 others were wounded in the clashes, according to the numbers. The data also shows that 222 attacks were carried out by the Taliban during the last week in 29 provinces.
Afghan officials say that this could jeopardize the peace process, which has reached an important phase.
“The Taliban’s movements and attacks have killed and wounded 422 security force members,” said Tariq Arian, spokesman for Ministry of Interior Affairs.
“They (Taliban attacks) have created many problems in public services for the people in different provinces,” said Sayed Shah Saqim, spokesman for the Independent Directorate of Local Governance.
In April, the National Security Council (NSC) provided details on Taliban attacks after the peace deal they signed with the US on February 29 in Doha.
The numbers by the NSC shows that the Taliban conducted an average of 55 attacks per day from March 1 to April 19.
The total military movements by the Taliban during this period was 2,804 attacks, according to the NSC.
“It will not be in favor of the current situation and efforts if it continues. It will ultimately push the government to target them anywhere Taliban conducts an attack,” the NSC spokesman Javid Faisal said.
Analysts said they see a lack of effective security plans against the Taliban’s attacks.
“It would be better if security leaders make practical moves instead of wasting their time,” said Assadullah Nadim, a military affairs analyst.
On June 13, the National Security Council’s spokesman said that 89 civilians were killed in “the Taliban attacks” in the last two weeks, something that the Taliban rejected.