Local officials in Nangarhar province on Monday said a 10-day operation named ‘Hamza’ was launched by Afghan Special Forces in cooperation with foreign troops and is ongoing in Kot and Achin districts.
So far 250 Daesh militants have been killed and many wounded.
“Afghan security forces have not sustained casualties so far,” Esmail Shinvari, Achin district governor said.
According to Shinvari, the operation was launched to eliminate Daesh and will continue until the region is cleared of insurgents. He said once the area has been cleared they will establish posts in the area.
Seven Taliban commanders were also killed.
“Posts will be established in the area cleared of insurgents,” Shinvari added.
201 Selab Military Corps also said most parts of Kot and Achin districts have been cleared of Daesh fighters.
Nangarhar residents meanwhile urged security forces to establish posts in the areas that have been retaken from Daesh in order to prevent the group from reoccupying the areas.
Some other Nangarhar residents meanwhile urged the villagers not to let Daesh militants move in to their villages and to cooperate with security forces in order to prohibit Daesh militants destructive activities.