Government data seen by TOLOnews shows that at least 80 civilians were killed and 95 others were wounded in security incidents over the last week after the Eid ceasefire.
The data is from August 3 to August 9.
The highest number of casualties have been in Nangarhar (49 dead or wounded) and the lowest has been in Kabul (1).
The security incidents have happened in 26 provinces including Kabul, Laghman, Nuristan, Uruzgan, Herat, Badakhshan, Parwan, Paktia, Wardak, Badghis, Sar-e-Pul, Ghor, Farah, Daikundi, Helmand, Balkh, Kunar, Logar, Takhar, Nimroz, Kapisa, Zabul, Kandahar, Baghlan, Ghazni and Nangarhar.
“At least 175 civilians have suffered casualties over the last week in offensive attacks and roadside bombs of the enemies of the people of Afghanistan,” Interior Ministry’s spokesman Tariq Arian said.
Wali Mohammad is one of the dozens of terrorist attacks victims and is under treatment at Mirwais Hospital in Kandahar. He said that he was on his way home when he sustained injuries in a clash between government forces and the Taliban on Kabul-Kandahar Highway.
“I have seen many people. I am one of them. I was driving my car when I was caught in the clash,” Mohammad said.
Meanwhile, three explosions happened in Kandahar and Kabul on Saturday, leaving 12 civilians dead, according to local officials. The two explosions in Kandahar occurred in Arghistan district and the explosion in Kabul happened in the western part of the city at a market in Company area.
“Seven incidents of this type have happened in Kandahar over the last month in which civilians have been targeted by bombs planted by militants. At least 21 civilians have been martyred in these incidents,” said Jamal Barikzai, the Kandahar police spokesman.
The Taliban has not commented on the data provided by the government.
The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) said it is concerned about the continuation of civilian casualties in the country.
“Our office is very serious in this respect. We are condemning all of these. Perpetrators should be punished,” said Shamsuddin Tanwir, an AIHRC official in the southern zone.
“It is probably by the Taliban as these attacks have similarities to those of the Taliban,” said Assadullah Nadim, a military affairs analyst.
Data provided by the AIHRC shows that 32 civilians were killed and at least 150 others were wounded from July 30 to August 2 – including the three days of the Eid ceasefire.