The Afghan forces recaptured Bilcheragh district in northern Faryab province after a year, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said in a statement on Tuesday.
The statement said the operation was held jointly by police and army forces and it was led by the Army's Commando Unit.
The statement says that the Taliban who captured the district a year ago had closed schools in Bilcheragh.
Another operation will be held to ensure all areas are cleared of the militants, the statement said.
The statement did not provide further details about the operation.
Taliban has not commented on the report so far.