A number of Afghan asylum seekers in Finland on Saturday protested against the forced deportation of Afghanistan refugees from the European country, urging the Finnish government to cancel Afghanistan’s agreement on migrants with the European Union (EU).
The agreement between Afghanistan and European Union - Joint Way Forward - was signed last year to prevent irregular immigration.
“The United Nations released a report on high civilian casualties [in Afghanistan]. The migration office in Finland accepts that there are problems in accepting asylum cases because of unprofessional interpreters and employees,” said Sadiq Behroz, an Afghan migrant in Finland.
“Fortunately, a number of Finnish citizens have joined us in this sit in and they are helping us. This protest continues for the past 21 days and every day we witness new people who join us in this bid,” said Abdul Jalil Husaini, another Afghan refugee.
Reports indicate that 55 percent of Afghan refugees in Germany have been given asylum while the remaining 45 percent would be deported to Afghanistan.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has supported the forced deportation agreement of Afghan refugees from her country.
According to the Ministry of Refugees and Repatriation, over 2,000 Afghan citizens have so far applied for asylum in Finland.
“Germany has not implemented the agreement. Few refugees have returned to Afghanistan. The agreement mentions that a flight will land in Kabul once in week which will carry 50 people. It means that 200 people return in one month,” said Islamuddin Jurat, spokesman for the Refugees and Repatriation Ministry.
Figures by the Afghan ministry show that last year, 40,000 Afghans applied for asylum in Germany and 60,000 others did the same in other European nations.