The Afghan National Security and Defense Forces (ANDSF) are tackling the Taliban insurgency in at least 15 provinces of the country, according to numbers from the Afghan security agencies.
The security agencies have said that at least 15 Afghan security force members were killed and 14 others were wounded in various parts of the country in the past 24 hours while repelling the Taliban attacks.
In the latest sign of rising violence, on Thursday night, the Taliban launched an attack on an Afghan National Police checkpoint on the Takhar-Kunduz highway, killing at least five members of the Afghan National Police (ANP) and wounding ten others.
“Last week about a hundred members of the security forces were martyred. We call on the security institutions to take action about the security situation in Takhar,” said Nazeefa Yousuf Bek, a member of the Afghan parliament.
According to Afghan officials, the Afghan security forces and the Taliban are currently fighting each other in Takhar, Jawzjan, Paktia, Helmand, Khost, Ghor, Kunduz, Badghis, Kandahar, Samangan, Faryab, Ghazni, Logar, Herat and Badakhshan provinces.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in a virtual conference with TED’s head Chris Anderson on Tuesday said that the cost in lives has still been very high despite a reduction in violence plan.
“The cost in lives is still very high--on average, 30 to 35 casualties a day from our security forces,” said Ghani.
“The Taliban should take responsibility for this issue. on the one hand, they committed to a reduction in violence and also the Afghan government continues to release their prisoners--what justification do they (Taliban) have for waging the war now?” said Mirza Mohammad Yarmand, a military analyst in Kabul.
In the meantime, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper at the NATO Headquarters in Brussels on Friday and the two held discussions on issues including the Russian missile threat, NATO’s response to COVID-19, and the alliance’s missions in Afghanistan and Iraq, said NATO.
Stoltenberg underlined that NATO will continue to "adjust its presence in support of the peace process" and that this will continue to be done in "close coordination" with Allies and partners.