A day after Afghan security officials raised concerns about the high fatality rate among security forces, a number of MPs in the Wolesi Jirga (Lower House of Parliament) along with residents of war-torn provinces slammed security officials for what they said was poor war management.
On Sunday Ministers of Interior and Defense and deputy head of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) were summoned by senators to the Meshrano Jirga (Upper House of Parliament) to answer questions over the issue. Defense minister Tariq Shah Bahrami said in the last month over 500 Afghan National Army soldiers were killed in action.
Bahrami said currently 18 provinces are facing security threats while Ghazni, Farah, Faryab and Uruzgan are embroiled in heavy clashes.
“We concentrate on all parts of Afghanistan and regarding these four provinces, we rely on special operations and airstrikes,” Bahrami said on Sunday.
Afghan Interior Minister Wais Ahmad Barmak also raised concerns about the increase in insecurity and said the dissatisfaction of the Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) between Kabul and Washington, among political figures, has exacerbated the situation.
A number of MPs said government, especially security departments, should make an effort to better manage the war and to improve security.
“Afghan government (especially) ministries of defense and interior and NDS should work hard at ensuring security,” MP Simin Barekzai said.
“People and government should cooperate with each other, then security will definitely improve,” MP Allah Gul Mujahid said.
A number of residents in insecure provinces said in reaction to the remarks by security officials that the high death toll among Afghan soldiers is because of poor war management.
Residents of Kunduz said due to the lack of management in security departments, Kunduz districts are insecure and they are afraid Taliban will once again launch an attack on the city.
“There is no security in our districts,” Atiqullah, a resident of Kunduz said.
“We are afraid that Taliban might again launch attacks on the city,” Fahim Ahmad, another Kunduz resident said.
Ministry of Defense however said they are ready to address security challenges adding that soldiers recruitment process is going well.
“Our recruitment process has increased 100 percent,” defense ministry spokesman Ghafoor Ahmad Jawed said.