The Afghan Ministry of Defense on Saturday welcomed the Pentagon’s decision to cut $50 million in military fund to the Pakistani government over not doing enough to counter Haqqani network.
The Defense Ministry said Pakistan has not been honest in the fight against terrorism.
“We hope that the U.S., in addition to withholding funds to Pakistan, put more political pressures on that country,” said Dawlat Waziri, a spokesman to the Defense Ministry.
The Pentagon officials have said the $50 million was part of U.S. military fund to Pakistan in 2016.
This is not the first time that U.S. withholds military funds to Pakistan. Last year also Washington had withheld $300 million of its military fund to Pakistan.
“Pakistan has recently expanded its relations with Russia and China and this has concerned the United States,” said Mirdad Nejrabi, head of parliament’s internal security commission.
U.S. former military chief Mike Mullen in 2011 had told in the U.S. congress that Haqqani network is a (real shoulder) of Pakistan military intelligence. A year after that, U.S. included Haqqani network in the list of terrorist groups.
“$50 million USD is not important for Pakistan. If we divide the amount on Pakistan population it would not effect its per capita income,” MP Abdul Raouf Enami said.
Currently Trump administration is focusing on putting more pressures on Pakistan and that increase of drone strikes in Pakistan soil and removing Pakistan name from NATO main allies is the two options that the administration is working on.