Latest news
Thumbnail

Attack in Samangan Ends, 3 Attackers and 10 Others Killed

A suicide car bomb explosion and ensuing gun battle, claimed by the Taliban, occurred on Monday morning in front of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) compound in Aybak city, the center of the northern Afghan province of Samangan, and ended with three attackers and at least 10 other people killed, according to local officials.

The officials also confirmed that 50 others were wounded in the explosion and an ensuing gun battle between security personnel and Taliban attackers.

The suicide bombing happened at around 11:00 am, said Mohammad Sediq Azizi, a spokesman for the provincial governor.

According to officials, three attackers were involved in the attack that was claimed by the Taliban shortly after the initial blast.

President Ghani in a statement condemned the attack and called on the Taliban to stop fighting and "killing Afghans," warning that escalating violence and war would damage progress in the peace process.

Abdullah Abdullah in a statement condemned the attack, saying: " These blind attacks are against the commitments to start intra-Afghan talks, reduce violence and establish peace and reconciliation in the country.”

UNAMA also called on parties to take all feasible precautions to prevent civilian casualties.

“Parties must take all feasible precautions to prevent civilian harm. Initial reports indicate Taliban-claimed car bomb attack on NDS in Samangan, Afghanistan injured dozens of civilians. UNAMA urges all parties to comply with international humanitarian law and protect civilians,” UNAMA tweeted.

Ian Collard, UK's deputy ambassador to afghanistan, in a tweet also condemned the attack on the NDS building in Samangan province this morning, saying that the violence must stop.

“Condemn Taliban attack in Samangan today. Dozens of innocent civilians injured.  Our thoughts are with those who are suffering because of the ongoing conflict. The Taliban need to show they are ready for peace,” Collard tweeted.

According to the US-Taliban deal signed between the two sides in February, the militant group committed to avoid attacks in Afghanistan’s cities. This is the first attack of its kind after the peace deal.

Violence is increasing in many parts of the country amid peace efforts.

The National Security Council (NSC) on Saturday, July 11, released data on civilian casualties, saying 23 civilians were killed and 45 others were wounded in Taliban violence over the last week.

Figures by the National Security Council indicate that 16 provinces of the country have witnessed 284 attacks by the Taliban in the last seven days.

Attack in Samangan Ends, 3 Attackers and 10 Others Killed

Local officials said that 60 others were wounded in the suicide bombing that happened on Monday morning.

Thumbnail

A suicide car bomb explosion and ensuing gun battle, claimed by the Taliban, occurred on Monday morning in front of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) compound in Aybak city, the center of the northern Afghan province of Samangan, and ended with three attackers and at least 10 other people killed, according to local officials.

The officials also confirmed that 50 others were wounded in the explosion and an ensuing gun battle between security personnel and Taliban attackers.

The suicide bombing happened at around 11:00 am, said Mohammad Sediq Azizi, a spokesman for the provincial governor.

According to officials, three attackers were involved in the attack that was claimed by the Taliban shortly after the initial blast.

President Ghani in a statement condemned the attack and called on the Taliban to stop fighting and "killing Afghans," warning that escalating violence and war would damage progress in the peace process.

Abdullah Abdullah in a statement condemned the attack, saying: " These blind attacks are against the commitments to start intra-Afghan talks, reduce violence and establish peace and reconciliation in the country.”

UNAMA also called on parties to take all feasible precautions to prevent civilian casualties.

“Parties must take all feasible precautions to prevent civilian harm. Initial reports indicate Taliban-claimed car bomb attack on NDS in Samangan, Afghanistan injured dozens of civilians. UNAMA urges all parties to comply with international humanitarian law and protect civilians,” UNAMA tweeted.

Ian Collard, UK's deputy ambassador to afghanistan, in a tweet also condemned the attack on the NDS building in Samangan province this morning, saying that the violence must stop.

“Condemn Taliban attack in Samangan today. Dozens of innocent civilians injured.  Our thoughts are with those who are suffering because of the ongoing conflict. The Taliban need to show they are ready for peace,” Collard tweeted.

According to the US-Taliban deal signed between the two sides in February, the militant group committed to avoid attacks in Afghanistan’s cities. This is the first attack of its kind after the peace deal.

Violence is increasing in many parts of the country amid peace efforts.

The National Security Council (NSC) on Saturday, July 11, released data on civilian casualties, saying 23 civilians were killed and 45 others were wounded in Taliban violence over the last week.

Figures by the National Security Council indicate that 16 provinces of the country have witnessed 284 attacks by the Taliban in the last seven days.

Share this post