A number of attackers stormed a government building in downtown Kabul – few kilometers in the east of the green zone where diplomatic offices are located – at around 3pm Kabul time on Monday.
The attack started with a car bomb explosion near the Ministry of Public Works and the National Authority for People with Disabilities and Martyrs’ Families in Kabul’s PD16 – near Makroyan-e-Kohna colony.
The attackers then started gunshots and entered the building of the National Authority for People with Disabilities and Martyrs’ Families.
Three hours after the attack, Nusrat Rahimi, deputy spokesman for Ministry of Interior, said two attackers were gunned down by government forces, who arrived at the scene shortly after the first explosion.
He said 200 employees of the authority were evacuated the attack but added that “a large number of employees of the authority are still inside the building”.
Eyewitnesses said helicopters were also seen in the area to support ground forces who are busy in rescuing those under siege.
“They (attackers) opened fire on the people and killed them and then made their way to the ministry,” said Awal Khan Amiri, an eyewitness.
“We were selling lemons there. The car was burning and we were hurt by the explosion,” said Zekrullah, a Kabul resident, who sustained injuries in the attack.
Almost seven hours after the attack, Interior Ministry's spokesman Najib Danish said the building that insurgents had attacked has been cleared.
According to Danish, there are casualties from the attack, but the exact number is not known so far.
An hour earlier, the ministry said that one police was killed, 16 people including military and civilians were wounded in the attack.
The Interior Ministry's deputy spokesman Nusrat Rahimi said three militants were killed inside the building.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.