The death toll in Tuesday night’s bombing at the Jawadia Mosque in Bekr Abad area in Herat city has risen to 29, officials confirmed.
Herat officials said in addition to those killed, over 60 people were wounded in the attack.
According to them, a suicide bomber opened fire on worshipers inside the mosque before detonating his explosives.
Herat’s governor Mohammad Asif Rahimi condemned the attack and said that the people of Herat would stand united against the enemy.
He also ordered security forces to track down those who planned the attack and to ensure justice is served.
Officials initially said two attackers had been involved in the incident, but in a statement issued by the governor, he said only one had been involved.
President Ashraf Ghani also condemned the attack and said insurgents would not succeed in fueling sectarian wars in the country by conducting such attacks.