Latest news
Thumbnail

A number of families who lost relatives during clashes with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar’s Hizb-e-Islami fighters in the past have asked government to ensure justice is served.

One family who lost five relatives in a Hizb-e-Islami attack in Kabul said on Monday that Hekmatyar is responsible for the death of their loved ones and that he should be held accountable. 

The family said their daughter, along with her husband and three children, were killed in a suicide attack on the Finest supermarket in Kabul six years ago – an attack that Hizb-e-Islami claimed responsibility for. However, to date, no one has been brought to justice over the incident.

The family claim circles within government help insurgents and that government is hiding this fact.

Mujib, a 17-year-old student, was wounded in the suicide attack on Finest six years ago. He said his sister, who was in the supermarket buying goods for her child, was killed in the incident. Mujib said he cannot forget the image of his sister covered in blood.

“I want government to investigate them. She was my sister, was part of my body. My aunt’s daughter was also killed along my sister,” he said.

Sediq Sahil, Mujib’s father said he complained to judicial institutions on three occasions and three committees were formed to investigate the suicide attack on the store, but actual details and results have never been finalized.

“A complete report was put on the president’s table. There was enough evidence about who the culprits were,” he said.

According to Sahil, 20 years ago Hizb-e-Islami also kidnapped his brother who had been working with the interior ministry. They reportedly took him to Pakistan. When his elder brother went in search of him in Pakistan, he too was kidnapped. The brothers were never found.

He said his mother tried in vain to get help from many leaders and even went to Char Asyab district of Kabul province to meet Hekmatyar. But no one listened to her, he said adding that she passed away five years ago.

“They were not members of K.G.B and were not a threat to the national interests. They were simple citizens and Hizb-e-Islami should be asked why they kidnapped my family members and where they took them? Why were they taken away and where are they now? There is no news of their destiny, or if they are alive or dead,” said Sahil.

On 28 January 2011, a suicide attacker detonated his explosives in Finest supermarket in which eight people including Hamida Barmaki, a lecturer at Kabul University along with three children and her husband and three foreigners were killed.

In addition to the eight killed, 10 others were also wounded in the attack.

Hekmatyar’s Hizb-e-Islami claimed responsibility for the attack.

Families who lost loved ones in Hizb-e-Islami attacks have called on government to hold those responsible accountable

Thumbnail

A number of families who lost relatives during clashes with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar’s Hizb-e-Islami fighters in the past have asked government to ensure justice is served.

One family who lost five relatives in a Hizb-e-Islami attack in Kabul said on Monday that Hekmatyar is responsible for the death of their loved ones and that he should be held accountable. 

The family said their daughter, along with her husband and three children, were killed in a suicide attack on the Finest supermarket in Kabul six years ago – an attack that Hizb-e-Islami claimed responsibility for. However, to date, no one has been brought to justice over the incident.

The family claim circles within government help insurgents and that government is hiding this fact.

Mujib, a 17-year-old student, was wounded in the suicide attack on Finest six years ago. He said his sister, who was in the supermarket buying goods for her child, was killed in the incident. Mujib said he cannot forget the image of his sister covered in blood.

“I want government to investigate them. She was my sister, was part of my body. My aunt’s daughter was also killed along my sister,” he said.

Sediq Sahil, Mujib’s father said he complained to judicial institutions on three occasions and three committees were formed to investigate the suicide attack on the store, but actual details and results have never been finalized.

“A complete report was put on the president’s table. There was enough evidence about who the culprits were,” he said.

According to Sahil, 20 years ago Hizb-e-Islami also kidnapped his brother who had been working with the interior ministry. They reportedly took him to Pakistan. When his elder brother went in search of him in Pakistan, he too was kidnapped. The brothers were never found.

He said his mother tried in vain to get help from many leaders and even went to Char Asyab district of Kabul province to meet Hekmatyar. But no one listened to her, he said adding that she passed away five years ago.

“They were not members of K.G.B and were not a threat to the national interests. They were simple citizens and Hizb-e-Islami should be asked why they kidnapped my family members and where they took them? Why were they taken away and where are they now? There is no news of their destiny, or if they are alive or dead,” said Sahil.

On 28 January 2011, a suicide attacker detonated his explosives in Finest supermarket in which eight people including Hamida Barmaki, a lecturer at Kabul University along with three children and her husband and three foreigners were killed.

In addition to the eight killed, 10 others were also wounded in the attack.

Hekmatyar’s Hizb-e-Islami claimed responsibility for the attack.

Share this post