Heavy fighting between Afghan security forces and the Taliban broke out early Sunday morning when dozens of Taliban fighters launched coordinated attacks on several points on the outskirts of the city.
Reports indicate that the Taliban has also closed all roads leading into Kunduz city, including the Kunduz-Baghlan highway.
But provincial officials claim security forces have pushed back the Taliban and inflicted a heavy casualty toll on the group.
“This morning the Taliban launched their attacks from two directions from Talwaka village and Khanabad Road, fortunately their attacks were repelled and the enemy sustained heavy casualties,” said Sayed Mahmoud Danish, a spokesman for the Kunduz governor.
Kunduz provincial council warns the situation is deteriorating
According to Kunduz provincial council members, security forces have also sustained casualties in the clash.
“Currently we are in the middle of war, we can hear gunfire; every day we see people being killed and wounded; what does the collapse of Kunduz really mean for them (government officials)?” asked Amruddin Wali, the head of the Kunduz provincial council.
According to provincial council members, the Taliban has also surrounded an Afghan National Army (ANA) base in Kunduz city.
They said that despite the presence of an ANA battalion, units and several check points, security has not improved.
“You (government) should show some efficiency, it is really shameful for government and government officials,” said a member of the provincial council, Ghulam Rabbani Rabbani.
“Kunduz collapsed several times, the president came and pledged that an army regiment will be deployed here and there is an extra unit, but neither the unit nor the regiment has had any impact on security,” said Safiullah Amiri, another member of the provincial council.
Security officials have said that so far, fifteen Taliban insurgents have been killed and dozens other wounded.
Several soldiers have also been killed in the battles, security officials confirmed.