Nangarhar officials on Saturday revised the death toll in Thursday night’s bombing in Achin district in Nangarhar, stating at least 94 militants had been killed in the incident including four of their top commanders.
Nangarhar police said that the bombing destroyed Daesh hideouts, tunnels and weapon caches.
Hamza Abobakr; Hamid; Mohammad Abrani and Walkin, Hafiz Saeed’s brother, were reportedly among the dead Daesh militants killed in the bombing.
As the biggest non-nuclear bomb to be used in combat, the Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB), also commonly known as the Mother of All Bombs, was dropped by U.S Forces on Achin district in Nangarhar Thursday night as part of ongoing efforts to eradicate Daesh.
The move by U.S Forces on Thursday night, targeting an important stronghold of Daesh, has been met with mixed reactions by Afghans.
A number of Kabul residents however saw this as a positive step, saying they believe after this U.S Forces will step up efforts to fight insurgents.
Others sharply criticized the move and condemned the U.S’s actions, saying foreign forces should target insurgent strongholds outside Afghanistan.
Former president Hamid Karzai slammed government over the move and said it had been nothing more than a weapons of mass destruction test and that it had been in violation of Afghanistan’s national sovereignty.