Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

Govt Draws Parallels To Khost And Balkh Army Base Attacks

The Afghan government said on Saturday there were similarities between two attacks on army bases – Friday’s in Khost and last year’s attack in Balkh.

The latest attack on an army regiment inside a base in Khost on Friday left at least 10 dead and a dozen others wounded.

A similar attack occurred inside Shaheen Army Corps last year which left at least 50 soldiers dead.

The presidential palace said the repeat of such attacks was questionable and that those who have failed to prevent such incidents will be prosecuted.

“A similar attack on Shaheen Corps happened, it is absolutely similar to that. The relevant organizations have been directed to run a thorough investigation into the incident so that they will find out how a similar attack was repeated and that those who neglected their jobs will face legal action,” Haroon Chakhansuri, President Ashraf Ghani’s spokesman said at a press conference on Saturday.

Meanwhile, lawmakers in the Wolesi Jirga, the Lower House of Parliament, stressed the need for an investigation into the incident and one into last week’s suicide bombing at a religious gathering in Kabul.

“I want the internal security and defense commission to hold a special session with intelligence organizations and find out what the reasons are that we are repeatedly witnessing such tragedies in the capital of Afghanistan and in provinces,” said Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi, the Wolesi Jirga speaker.

A former military officer meanwhile criticized the recruitment method of the Afghan security forces, saying that a better system will prevent such attacks in future.

“Who are we recruiting, what is the criteria and who guarantees them? How did he (attacker) enter a military base? These all should be investigated,” said Atiqullah Amarkhail, a former military officer.

The Ministry of Defense confirmed that at least 10 soldiers were killed in the Khost attack; however, the ministry said an investigation is already underway and that details will be made public at a later date.

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility of the attack.

Afghanistan

Govt Draws Parallels To Khost And Balkh Army Base Attacks

President Ghani’s spokesman says anyone found to have been negligent at the Khost base will be prosecuted.

Thumbnail

The Afghan government said on Saturday there were similarities between two attacks on army bases – Friday’s in Khost and last year’s attack in Balkh.

The latest attack on an army regiment inside a base in Khost on Friday left at least 10 dead and a dozen others wounded.

A similar attack occurred inside Shaheen Army Corps last year which left at least 50 soldiers dead.

The presidential palace said the repeat of such attacks was questionable and that those who have failed to prevent such incidents will be prosecuted.

“A similar attack on Shaheen Corps happened, it is absolutely similar to that. The relevant organizations have been directed to run a thorough investigation into the incident so that they will find out how a similar attack was repeated and that those who neglected their jobs will face legal action,” Haroon Chakhansuri, President Ashraf Ghani’s spokesman said at a press conference on Saturday.

Meanwhile, lawmakers in the Wolesi Jirga, the Lower House of Parliament, stressed the need for an investigation into the incident and one into last week’s suicide bombing at a religious gathering in Kabul.

“I want the internal security and defense commission to hold a special session with intelligence organizations and find out what the reasons are that we are repeatedly witnessing such tragedies in the capital of Afghanistan and in provinces,” said Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi, the Wolesi Jirga speaker.

A former military officer meanwhile criticized the recruitment method of the Afghan security forces, saying that a better system will prevent such attacks in future.

“Who are we recruiting, what is the criteria and who guarantees them? How did he (attacker) enter a military base? These all should be investigated,” said Atiqullah Amarkhail, a former military officer.

The Ministry of Defense confirmed that at least 10 soldiers were killed in the Khost attack; however, the ministry said an investigation is already underway and that details will be made public at a later date.

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility of the attack.

Share this post