The Helmand activists who traveled to all provinces last year in a quest for peace have once again begun a countrywide journey calling for a ceasefire between the conflicting sides.
The journey, named “From Helmand to Helmand” began on Sunday. Last time the world famous protesters walked on foot, but this time they will travel in cars.
Last year the group traveled to almost 20 provinces and held protest camps outside different foreign embassies and international organizations in Kabul.
Their initial group is around 25 people, but a member of the People’s Peace Movement--or the Peace Convoy--said their numbers will grow as they visit each province.
“The journey will start in Helmand and will end in Helmand, peace activist Mohammad Nekzad said. “We will raise the people’s will for peace and we will ask for a ceasefire.”
“Last time, we traveled to 20 provinces and this time we will travel to 34 provinces and we will call for a ceasefire,” said peace activist Sayed Hamidullah Khanjari.
Other members of the movement say they call on the Taliban to agree to a ceasefire and to begin intra-Afghan negotiations at the earliest time possible.
“We say to the international community that we want an immediate ceasefire. We are tired of war and we want peace,” peace activist Nasir Nasiri said.
“We call for a ceasefire from the government, the Taliban, the international community, and other parties,” said Wazir, a member of the movement.
The activists initially launched a sit-in protest in Lashkargah City after a suicide bombing outside a stadium in March 2018. About a month later, a group of eight protestors left Helmand on foot for Kabul, all the while spreading messages of peace.
They walked through towns and villages across provinces and met with residents along the way. And as they progressed their numbers grew.