The Ministry of Defense (MoD) has commended the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) for their commitment to support Afghanistan and to train the Afghan security and defense forces, saying that the organization’s help is vital for the future of the country.
“NATO’s commitment to continue its support to Afghanistan and to our security forces is crucial for implementing the Defense Ministry’s four-year security plan,” the MoD's spokesman Major General Dawlat Waziri said at a press conference on Saturday.
Based on the plan, Waziri said the Afghan National Civil Order Police (ANDCOP) and the Border Police would be merged with the Ministry of Defense.
He went on to say that according to the plan, the size of the Afghan Commando Unit would be doubled and upgraded to Corps level.
The Afghan Air Force would be equipped and reinforced, Waziri said when giving details about the four-year security plan.
He stressed the need for NATO’s help to train and equip the Afghan forces so they could put the plan into practice. “NATO’s recent commitment to send a few thousand additional troops to Afghanistan will help us in this respect,” Waziri said.
Last week, the acting defense minister Tariq Shah Bahrami attended NATO’s defense ministers meeting in Brussels, Belgium.
NATO allies reaffirmed their continued support to the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) to ensure security in the country.
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said at the meeting that NATO and its allies have reconfirmed their commitment to Afghanistan and that they will sustain the Resolute Support Mission beyond 2017.
“Our military authorities have requested a few thousand more troops for the mission and today, I can confirm that we will increase our presence in Afghanistan,” Stoltenberg said at a press conference on Thursday.