Local officials in Baghlan province said on Sunday that the Afghan security forces are still battling the Taliban fighters in Kabul-Baghlan and Baghlan-Kunduz roads in order to clear the key routes of the militants.
The fighting broke out after scores of Taliban fighters launched attack on Baladori village in Pul-e-Khumri, the capital city of Baghlan.
Baghlan officials said the fighting is ongoing in Baghlan-e-Markazi and Doshi districts in the province.
“The Taliban suffered massive fatalities during 10 hours of battle in Baladori village of Pul-e-Khumri city. The security forces managed to retake the area,” said Amir Gul Hussainkhail, security chief at the Baghlan Police Headquarters.
Police sources in Baghlan claimed that the Taliban suffered heavy losses in the battle.
“The Taliban had taken position alongside the highway and they were bothering passengers by closing the road, however the operations launched by government forces eliminated the Taliban in the area,” said Khalid, an Afghan National Army (ANA) officer.
Soldiers battling the Taliban have reiterated that they will continue the fighting until full elimination of the Taliban.
“There are heavy clashes during days and at the end of the day, we won the battle and the Taliban were disintegrated,” said another officer, Janan.
This comes as Taliban fighters attacked security forces’ outposts in Burka district in Baghlan at mid-night on Thursday.
Sources said that at least 30 Taliban militants were killed in the battle.
On Thursday, security officials in Baghlan said Taliban militants have suffered a heavy casualty toll in the province and have been pushed back by government forces in the past two weeks following the launch of their summer offensive.
The officials said the Taliban’s offensive in Baghlan has so far failed and the province has become a “grave” for the fighters of the group.