Three gunmen attempted to enter the Khost military airport on Saturday afternoon but were stopped by security forces, local officials said.
The incident took place at around 02:30 p.m. local time when three attackers wanted to enter the airport but were recognized by security forces, said Faizullah Ghairat, the police chief of the province.
He said one of the attackers were gunned down by security forces but the two others are missing.
He added that the security forces have launched operation to find the remaining attackers.
Reports indicate that most of the military forces at the airport are foreigners.
No group, including Taliban, have yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Last week on Wednesday three attackers entered the Sardar Mohammad Daoud hospital and killed 30 and wounded 70 others.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid on his Twitter page rejected any involvement of the group in attack on the military hospital.
However, Daesh militants reportedly claimed responsibility for the hospital attack.