The Ministry of Public Health confirmed Sunday afternoon the death toll from the suicide bombing earlier in the day had risen dramatically to 52.
According to the ministry’s spokesman, Wahid Majrooh, at least 21 women and five children were among those killed.
In addition, 112 people were also wounded.
Officials said the casualties were all civilians – most of whom had been waiting outside a population registration office in Dasht-e-Barchi to apply for their IDs in order to register to vote in the October elections.
Testimony to the deadly blast were the piles of blood-stained documents strewn around the blast scene following the explosion.
Officials confirmed a suicide bomber had detonated his explosives among the people, near the entrance to the offices.
Exact figures on how many people had been waiting were not available but officials said that particular office had in recent days been processing about 100 ID (Tazkira) applications a day.
By Sunday mid-day, there had been five attacks in less than a week against the election process.
Two hours after the Kabul bombing, an explosion rocked Pul-e-Khumri city in Baghlan province, killing at least six people and wounding five others.
This explosion happened close to a voter registration center in the provincial capital, officials confirmed.
Last week three other attacks took place.
On Tuesday, unknown armed men attacked a voter registration center in Ghor province and kidnapped three IEC employees and two policemen.
Ghor police spokesman said the attackers were Taliban.
On Thursday, unknown armed men attacked two police force members in Jalalabad City who were guarding a voter registration center.
The two policemen were killed in the ensuing gunfight.
On Friday, unknown armed men attacked a voter registration center in Qala-e-Naw, the center of Badghis province, where a police officer assigned to maintain security was killed.