At least six Taliban insurgents were killed in an ongoing security forces operation in northern Kunduz province on Sunday, local officials confirmed Monday.
Two other insurgents were wounded in the operation.
The operation was launched in Aqtash district of the province to clear the area of insurgents and so far, Janat Bagh-e-Ulya, Karokhil, Kanal and Tape Aynullah villages have been cleared of insurgents, the head of the local department of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) Gen. Sayed Amirshah Sadat said.
Security forces are also being supported by the Air Force and “three insurgent strongholds were destroyed in airstrikes,” Sadat said.
The Taliban has not yet commented on the operation.