Sources said that heavy clashes are ongoing between security forces and Taliban militants on the outskirts of Kunduz city since midnight.
The Taliban attacked the northeastern city of Kunduz from three directions at about 1:30 am early Saturday, sources said.
Two members of Kunduz Provincial Council told TOLOnews that reinforcements are needed to be sent to the province.
Presidential spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said in a tweet that security forces are repelling the Taliban attack on some parts of Kunduz city and their top priority is to protect the civilians.
The Ministry of Interior said the Special Forces’ 303 Unit has arrived in Kunduz city and has started its operations.
Afghan Air Force is targeting the Taliban in city’s Pul-e-Shenwari, Qahwa Khan and other parts of the city in which “so far 26 Taliban were killed,” according to government officials.
Local security officials said that three members of Afghan forces were killed and three others were wounded in the clashes.
Taliban said they attacked the city and claimed that they have captured some parts of the city and have imposed casualties to police.
A spokesman for Kunduz police chief, Sayed Sarwar, Hussaini confirmed the attack and said the Taliban militants have suffered casualties in the clashes.
“We had information that the Taliban are attacking the city and we were prepared for it,” he said.
Taliban has captured a few villages and central hospital in the city, according to residents.
Telecommunication system has been cut off in the Kunduz city after Taliban attack and only government's Salaam telecommunication company is still working, Kunduz residents said, adding that “food prices have increased after the Taliban attack.”
Dozens of residents of Kunduz city have evacuated their houses.
This is the third time that the city of Kunduz comes under Taliban attack since 2015.
This comes amid ongoing talks between the US and the Taliban which are aimed at ending the 18-year war in Afghanistan.