The National Security Council (NSC) has said it has approved the UAE and Qatar proposal for forces to be deployed to Afghanistan.
In a statement released by the Afghanistan National Security Council (NSC) late Tuesday the council confirmed the UAE proposal to send special forces to Afghanistan under the Resolute Support mission to train, consult and support Afghan forces under the Afghan-NATO Security Agreement.
The statement did not mention anything about numbers of troops or when they would come to Afghanistan.
This comes after US commander Gen. John Nicholson last week announced that the UAE and Qatar wanted to send troops to Afghanistan.
“I'd say this is not just an American mission. There are 39 nations here. In fact, we have two more that have recently offered to join: UAE and Qatar,” said Nicholson.
And so these nations not only contribute troops; they contribute financially and they bring the legitimacy of a 39-nation coalition to keep pressure on these terrorist groups, he added.