The UK’s Defense Minister Michael Fallon says the government is shutting down a seven-year-old investigation into claims of abuse by British forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Media reports indicated that the team, set up in 2010 to investigate claims of abuse and torture by British soldiers, will close in the summer, Fallon said.
Fallon also said that about 90 percent of the 675 cases relating to alleged abuse of civilians in Afghanistan will be dismissed and the remaining claims will be investigated by the Royal Navy police, media reports indicated.
"This will be a relief for our soldiers who have had allegations hanging over them for too long," Fallon said.
This comes after a parliamentary committee report on Friday claimed that serving and retired UK troops had been subjected to "deeply disturbing" treatment by investigation team.
The report by the Defense Select Committee in the House of Commons stated that many allegations of abuse did not have any credible evidence.
However, Amnesty International reportedly criticized the decision to close the investigation, calling for an independent investigation to be conducted.