US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday condemned the “terrorist attack” near Bagram airbase “in the strongest possible terms,” and said that the US stands with the Afghan people to bring peace and stability.
“I want to condemn this more coordinated terrorist attack near Bagram Air Force Base in the strongest possible terms,” he said. “Attacks seriously damaged a hospital that was being rebuilt for the Afghan people.”
“This is precisely the kind of activity that we're working to reduce through the efforts that we're undertaking. The people of Afghanistan deserve an end to these senseless acts of violence,” he said.
He reiterated US support for Afghanistan and said that the US stands with the Afghan people and their security forces and their desire to bring peace and stability to Afghanistan.
In Wednesday’s explosion at least two civilians were killed and 73 people were wounded—all of whom were civilians except for five Georgian soldiers. It occurred in the Bagram district of northern Parwan province close to Bagram airbase. A gun battle involving seven insurgents followed the blasts but was ended Wednesday evening by airstrikes, according to a Resolute Support spokesperson.
Earlier on Wednesday MoI spokesman Nusrat Rahimi said that three insurgents had been killed, one had been arrested, and three were still active.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.