The majority of victims of Saturday’s deadly bombing in downtown Kabul were civilians, officials confirmed, adding that the suicide ambulance bomber killed 63 people and wounded 151 others – in yet another major attack in less than 10 days.
The bodies meanwhile of some victims were sent to the forensic medicine department for identification, the ministry of public health said.
“Some of the martyrs will be taken to the forensic medicine department. Most of the wounded were taken to Emergency, Wazir Akbar Khan, police, 400-bed and the NDS hospitals,” Baryalai Hilali, head of Government Media Information Center said at a press conference following the attack.
The Ministry of Interior said four suspects were arrested in connection with the incident.
“The attacker was identified by security force members before reaching target and then he blew up the explosives there,” Nusrat Rahimi, a spokesman for the ministry, told a press conference.
The attack left Kabul residents angry. Some of them urged government leaders to step down or ensure the safety of the people.
“If you cannot govern, please leave the government for the sake of God. Leave the security to the people. How long should we bear the brunt of suicide attacks, bloodshed and grief?” asked Aryan, a resident of Kabul.
“(The attacker) crossed the first checkpoint. Police told him to cross over and he reached the second checkpoint. How can this happen,” a resident of Kabul Ahmad Zaki said.
“You cannot bring a small knife with you. How did these explosives enter the city?” asked Mohammadajan, another resident of Kabul.
On Wednesday, a group of militants attacked the Save The Children office in Jalalabad City, over 100 kilometers to the east of Kabul, claiming six lives and wounding over 20 others.
In another group attack, Taliban militants last week attacked the Hotel Intercontinental in Kabul, where 43 people were killed and dozens of others were wounded.