The Afghan government on Tuesday held an opening ceremony for a testing facility for coronavirus patients in Kandahar province, as 23 positive cases of the virus have been so far reported from the province.
Ferozuddin Feroz, minister of public health, said at the press conference that suspected cases of the COVID-19 from Helmand, Uruzgan, and Zabul provinces will be tested at the facility.
He said that the lab has capacity to test 100 suspected cases in 24 hours.
“This lab starts work today,"said Feroz.
The health minister also warned that the virus will spread if people do not comply with the recommended health measures.
“If we do not take this seriously, we will be harmed more than other countries,” said Feroz
Hayatullah Hayat, governor of Kandahar province, said that they will use all possible means to fight the spread of COVID-19.
“The private sector provided us with 400 beds. If the virus spreads, we have universities and hostels to provide space for the quarantine of 3,500 persons,” said Hayat.
On the other hand, some residents of Kandahar criticized government efforts regarding the coronavirus.
“Their fight regarding coronavirus is weak. They think about how to deliver funds to their own pockets. Budget is allocated but materials don't materialize for the hospital,” said Mohammad Sahil, a resident of Kandahar.
“Coordination does not exist; distrust exists here. If we destroy distrust and bring coordination, we will be able to fight the virus,” said Sayed Ahmad Sailab, a member of the Wolesi Jirga.