The Afghan Ministry of Public Health on Friday warned of a health catastrophe in the country as the number of coronavirus cases rise in Afghanistan, and urged the Afghan people to prioritize hygiene and act responsibly to overcome the challenge as soon as possible.
The Health Ministry warned of increasing cases, and reiterated their call for the people to stay in their homes.
So far, up to 274 positive cases of COVID-19 have been registered in 19 provinces of the country.
“15 positive cases in Herat, 14 in Kabul, one in Nangarhar and also Kandahar, Daikundi and Baghlan also registered one case each,” said Wahidullah Mayar, a spokesman for the Ministry of Health.
Currently, there are 14 active COVID-19 labs working in Herat, Kabul and Nangarhar. But experts say these labs are not sufficient, as the virus has spread to 19 provinces of the country.
Overall the Ministry of Health has registered suspected cases (not confirmed by testing) of COVID-19 in 30 provinces.
“We will enter a critical period in the next three weeks. We once again call on the people to apply the health guidelines of the Ministry of Health, particulary in Kabul and Herat,” said Nizamuddin Jalil, the head of Kabul hospitals.
Afghan police in the Kabul city also intensified their enforcement of the lockdown, and increased efforts to limit the flow of traffic.
Previously, the Kabul mayor warned residents of tougher measures if they violate the lockdown.
“I am a laborer l, what should we do? We can't live by borrowing money,” said Khalid, a resident of Kabul.
“We should take measures to prevent the spread of the virus among our children and parents and families,” said Mirwais, a resident in Kabul.
So far ten patients have recovered from COVID-19 in the country.