Heavy clashes between the Afghan security forces and the Taliban continued in the northern provinces of Balkh and Jawzjan with the Balkh police chief claiming to have inflicted a devastating blow to the group in Dehdadi district.
“70 dead bodies of the enemy were lying on the ground as a result of airstrikes and ground attacks,” said general Fahim Qaim, the commander of the Balkh police.
The Taliban have not commented so far.
Meanwhile, sources said that Yar Mohammad Dostum, the son of Marshal Abdul Rashid Dostum, has arrived in Mazar-e-Sharif city in Balkh province to plan a massive operation along with the nation’s defense and security forces against the Taliban.
Meanwhile, the Taliban have said that they have captured Sheberghan airport in Jawzjan.
Reports say that fighting is currently underway between the Taliban and the security forces in Dehdadi district and has been for the past five days.
The fighting is taking place in residential areas in Dehdadi, according to reports.
“Please do not use us as your shields; using civilians as a shield is a war crime,” said Zabihullah Yari, a resident of Dehdadi.
“Firing is heard from all sides, the situation is critical,” said Zahir, a resident in Dehdadi.
Balkh's police chief who was assigned to the post on Wednesday said that the security forces will soon launch a massive operation against the enemy in the north.