The US Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad on Tuesday in a tweet condemned the attack against Attorney General Office’s lawyers who were killed yesterday in an armed attack by unknown gunmen.
“The US strongly condemns the attack against the Afghan Attorney General's lawyers and other team members working to facilitate prisoner releases. This attack, carried out by enemies of peace, took the lives of five civilians,” Khalilzad tweeted.
Khalilzad expressed condolences and called for an investigation to find the perpetrators.
Jamshid Rasouli, spokesman for the Attorney General's Office, said Monday that five employees working in the Bagram justice and detention center were killed by armed men on their way between Kabul and Bagram.
While so far no group has claimed responsibility, Khalilzad said the attack was conducted by "spoilers" who want to disrupt the peace process, and he called for a full investigation to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.
“This attack underscores what we all know: Spoilers (both domestic and foreign) are trying to disrupt and delay,” Khalilzad tweeted.
Khalilzad also called both the Taliban and government to take necessary steps to reach intra-Afghan negotiations.
“Both sides should not be deterred and push forward to take the steps necessary to reach intra-Afghan negotiations, where a comprehensive ceasefire and a political settlement can be negotiated as quickly as possible. This is what the Afghan people want and we stand with them,” Khalilzad tweeted.
President Ghani in a statement condemned yesterday attack on AGO’s employees and called the attack a crime against human and Islamic values. Ghani also said that the Taliban must stop violence and accept the will of the Afghan government and people to end the war and bring lasting peace.
UNAMA also in a tweet condemned the targeted attack against AGO officials, saying "such attacks against civilians in Afghanistan’s justice sector are abhorrent" and an investigation is needed.
NATO SCR Stefano Pontecorvo in a tweet also condemned the attack, saying: "As we face a unique opportunity for peace in Afghanistan, spoilers cannot be allowed to prevail. NATO stands with the Afghan people in fight against terror and for peaceful and secure future for all Afghans."
This follows an announcement on Monday by the National Security Council calling the past week the most "deadliest" in the past 19 years of war.