Latest news
Thumbnail

Leaders Did Not Order Raid On Afghan-Turk School: MoE

The acting Minister of Education Mohammad Ibrahim Shinwari on Wednesday said last night’s raid by the security forces on Afghan-Turk girls school was not carried out on the orders of the government leadership.
 
Afghan security forces raided an Afghan-Turk female high school in the Taimani area in Kabul on Tuesday evening and surrounded the school for at least three hours while searching all areas of the school, students claimed.
 
Shinwari said that the fate of four teachers of the school will be determined soon.
 
Reacting to the raid, the deputy chairman of Afghan-Turk schools in Afghanistan, Fawad Haidari, said the raid was in contravention of the laws of the country.
 
Families of Afghan-Turk schools have said that the nature of raid on the school and the detention of four teachers of the schools amounts to kidnapping and creating fear.
 
“Last night the armed individuals of the national directorate of security entered the girls' hostel without a court order,” said Sediqullah Tawhidi, member of Afghan-Turk Schools parents committee.
 
Ruqayya 14 is studying in class 8 and was doing homework in her hostel. She said that the students at the schools were in shock when the security forces raided the schools.
 
“I was very frightened and did not know what to do,” said Ruqayya
 
“The situation of our school has totally changed, the security forces entered our school from various directions,” said one student Raheel.
 
Currently, over 350 students are enrolled at the school.
 
“They said that your teachers have not been kidnapped and they are kept by the national directorate of security. We couldn’t find out was the main purpose behind the arrest was,” said Fawad Haidari, deputy head of Afghan-Turk schools.
 
“Last night armed members of national directorate of security illegally entered the premises of the school without having a court order,” said Sediqullah Tawhidi, member of the Afghan-Turk parents' committee.
 
The office of the Attorney General of Afghanistan so far has not commented on the incident.
 
“If someone is guilty of something, then he should be dealt with on the basis of an order the president, not the lower officials,” said Yousuf Pashton, chairman of Afghan-Turk parents’ union.
 
“This message means that we are closing the doors of education without having a say,” said MP Kamal Naser Usoli.
 
The raid came few hours after Afghan president Ashraf Ghani left Kabul for Istanbul to attend an emergency meeting of Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit on Jerusalem. Critics say that the raid on the school was linked to Ghani’s trip to Turkey.
 
“The president went to Turkey to discuss the Jerusalem issue, but here an attack was launched on the premises of innocent girls,” said Abdul Shokor Dadras, deputy head of Afghan-Turk schools committee.
 
“This is a violation of human rights. This must stop,” said Hawa Alam Nuristani, a commissioner of Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission.
 
Following an unsuccessful coup last year, the Turkish government asked Kabul to hand over the leadership of Afghan-Turk schools to the government of Turkey.
 
The Turkish government claims that these schools are led by Fethullah Gulen, who, the Turkish government says, was behind the failed military coup.
 
Officials of Afghan-Turk schools and students’ families have rejected these claims.
 
“The government leadership had not given such an order and the fate of those teachers currently under the investigation by the national directorate of security will be cleared very soon,” said Shinwari.
 
Residents reaction:
 
“It was a wrong move because it was the premises of the girls,” said one resident in Kabul Mohammad Abid.
 
“It was good that the issue is resolved through the ministry of education,” said another resident Taha.

Leaders Did Not Order Raid On Afghan-Turk School: MoE

Raid follows earlier demand that such schools be placed under the control of the Turkish government

Thumbnail

The acting Minister of Education Mohammad Ibrahim Shinwari on Wednesday said last night’s raid by the security forces on Afghan-Turk girls school was not carried out on the orders of the government leadership.
 
Afghan security forces raided an Afghan-Turk female high school in the Taimani area in Kabul on Tuesday evening and surrounded the school for at least three hours while searching all areas of the school, students claimed.
 
Shinwari said that the fate of four teachers of the school will be determined soon.
 
Reacting to the raid, the deputy chairman of Afghan-Turk schools in Afghanistan, Fawad Haidari, said the raid was in contravention of the laws of the country.
 
Families of Afghan-Turk schools have said that the nature of raid on the school and the detention of four teachers of the schools amounts to kidnapping and creating fear.
 
“Last night the armed individuals of the national directorate of security entered the girls' hostel without a court order,” said Sediqullah Tawhidi, member of Afghan-Turk Schools parents committee.
 
Ruqayya 14 is studying in class 8 and was doing homework in her hostel. She said that the students at the schools were in shock when the security forces raided the schools.
 
“I was very frightened and did not know what to do,” said Ruqayya
 
“The situation of our school has totally changed, the security forces entered our school from various directions,” said one student Raheel.
 
Currently, over 350 students are enrolled at the school.
 
“They said that your teachers have not been kidnapped and they are kept by the national directorate of security. We couldn’t find out was the main purpose behind the arrest was,” said Fawad Haidari, deputy head of Afghan-Turk schools.
 
“Last night armed members of national directorate of security illegally entered the premises of the school without having a court order,” said Sediqullah Tawhidi, member of the Afghan-Turk parents' committee.
 
The office of the Attorney General of Afghanistan so far has not commented on the incident.
 
“If someone is guilty of something, then he should be dealt with on the basis of an order the president, not the lower officials,” said Yousuf Pashton, chairman of Afghan-Turk parents’ union.
 
“This message means that we are closing the doors of education without having a say,” said MP Kamal Naser Usoli.
 
The raid came few hours after Afghan president Ashraf Ghani left Kabul for Istanbul to attend an emergency meeting of Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit on Jerusalem. Critics say that the raid on the school was linked to Ghani’s trip to Turkey.
 
“The president went to Turkey to discuss the Jerusalem issue, but here an attack was launched on the premises of innocent girls,” said Abdul Shokor Dadras, deputy head of Afghan-Turk schools committee.
 
“This is a violation of human rights. This must stop,” said Hawa Alam Nuristani, a commissioner of Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission.
 
Following an unsuccessful coup last year, the Turkish government asked Kabul to hand over the leadership of Afghan-Turk schools to the government of Turkey.
 
The Turkish government claims that these schools are led by Fethullah Gulen, who, the Turkish government says, was behind the failed military coup.
 
Officials of Afghan-Turk schools and students’ families have rejected these claims.
 
“The government leadership had not given such an order and the fate of those teachers currently under the investigation by the national directorate of security will be cleared very soon,” said Shinwari.
 
Residents reaction:
 
“It was a wrong move because it was the premises of the girls,” said one resident in Kabul Mohammad Abid.
 
“It was good that the issue is resolved through the ministry of education,” said another resident Taha.

Share this post