At least 12 insurgents were killed in ongoing Afghan security forces operations in three districts of northern Takhar province in the past two days, local officials confirmed on Thursday.
In addition, eight other insurgents were wounded.
The operation has been launched in Durqad, Khwaja Bahauddin and Yangi Qala districts of the province and so far five villages have been cleared of Taliban insurgents, Nezamuddin Ghori, acting police chief said.
Meanwhile, Colonel Sultan, a military commander in the north of the country said the Taliban insurgents are not able to fight the security forces, adding they are “using the people’s home as the shelter.”
The officials have also said that the “operations are moving slowly as the insurgents are placing roadside mines in the areas and also to prevent civilian casualties.”
The officials added that after the forces clear the three districts, the operation will launch in Khwaja Ghar district of the province.
However, the security forces have not provided further details about the operation and casualties of security forces during the operations.