A US soldier was killed and another wounded during a combat operation in eastern Afghanistan, the US military confirmed.
The military said in a statement that "several" Afghan security forces were killed and wounded in the same operation Monday.
Gen. John Nicholson, the commander of US forces in Afghanistan, said "their valiancy in battle, and that of the brave Afghan partners they fought alongside, will endure in our hearts and history."
The statement says the wounded soldier is in stable condition.
This comes after eight Romanian soldiers were wounded in a car bomb in southern Kandahar province on Monday, the Romanian Defense Ministry confirmed.
In the meantime, local officials said that at least 11 students were killed and 16 other people, including eight Romanian soldiers, were wounded in the car bombing in Daman district of the province.
The explosion happened at about 11am local time in Haji Abdullah Khan village of the district when a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle full of explosives, according to officials.
The target had been a Romanian troop convey that had been patrolling the area.
No group including the Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The US and NATO officially concluded their combat mission in Afghanistan in 2014, shifting to a counterterrorism and support role.