MEHWAR: US New Stance On Talks With Taliban Discussed
US President Donald Trump says he has called off peace negotiations with the Taliban after the group admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed at least 10 people, including a US soldier.
In a series of tweets, Mr. Trump said he had been set to meet senior Taliban leaders, and separately, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, at Camp David on Sunday. However, he canceled the meeting and called off negotiations after the group admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier.
Trump said if the Taliban cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway.
The US and the Taliban “agreed in principle” on a deal after nine rounds of talks in Doha and UAE, according to US chief negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad.
In this program, host Karim Amini discusses the topic with the following guests:
Sediq Sediqqi, presidential spokesman
Jawed Ludin, former deputy minister of foreign affairs
Fawzia Koofi, former MP
Omar Samad, former Afghan envoy in France and Canada