Thousands of residents and religious scholars attended the funeral ceremony of victims of the Herat mosque attack on Wednesday and called for justice.
Many said that the deadly attack on Tuesday night had been planned by enemies of Afghanistan who were trying to sow the seeds of division among Afghans.
Twenty nine people died on Tuesday night after Daesh attackers stormed the mosque and opened fire on worshipers.
Meanwhile, security officials have said that security commanders from Herat’s PD3 and PD4 have been suspended for having failed to prevent the attack.
Religious scholars in the province also said the aim of the attack was to create division in the country.
“All the people of Afghanistan are being sacrificed; everyday 50 people are falling; what does this really mean?” asked one Herat resident, Ali Jaffari.
“There is no doubt that foreign hands are behind last night’s attack,” said another resident, Jalil Ahmad.
“The enemy will fail (in their bid) to demoralize the people by committing such crimes,” said a member of Herat's provincial council Mahdi Hadid.
“The people of Herat want justice to be served on the plotters who commit crimes inside mosques,” said Sayed Azim Kibarzany, another member of Herat's provincial council.
Residents however barred security officials from attending the funeral.
Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack.