All sports activities have resumed after a six-month break due to the coronavirus outbreak, according to sports officials, who said the activities will follow certain health safety guidelines.
The coronavirus outbreak infected over 38,000 people in Afghanistan, according to the Ministry of Public Health.
“With the confirmation of the emergency commission, and the letter that has been sent by the Ministry of Public Health, sports activities will be allowed in Kabul and other provinces but must follow the health safety requirements of the Public Health Ministry and World Health Organization,” said Hafizullah Wali Rahimi, head of Physical Education and National Olympic Committee.
“Our national athletes were affected by the six-month break. They will now prepare for national and international events,” said Khwaja Hashmatullah Rasa, secretary general of the taekwondo federation.
This comes as Shpageeza Cricket League starts this week.
Afghanistan's Cricket Board (ACB) late Saturday announced that the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) has granted approval for the attendance of crowds at a reduced capacity-- 30%--for the seventh edition of the Shpageeza Cricket League.
Matches will be held at Kabul Cricket Stadium from September 6 - 16, 2020.
The ACB will ensure that all the players, support staff and others who are part of the league test negative for COVID-19 ahead of the matches, it added.
The tournament has six teams - Amo Sharks, Band-e Amir Dragons, Boost Defenders, Kabul Eagles, Mes Ainak Knights and Spin Ghar Tigers.
Mes Ainak Kights won the tournament last year.
The Shpageeza League competition is intended to help the Afghan players prepare for international competitions.