Latest news
Thumbnail
World

Death Toll of Coronavirus Rises to 414 in China

The number of deaths in China’s central Hubei province from a coronavirus outbreak had risen by 64 to 414 as of Monday, Chinese state television reported on Tuesday.

There had been a further 2,345 cases detected in Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak, taking the total in the province to 13,522.

Hubei’s provincial capital of Wuhan, where the virus is thought to have originated, reported 48 new deaths on Monday, accounting for most of the new casualties. A total of 313 people in Wuhan have now died from the virus.

With Wuhan and some other Chinese cities in virtual lockdown, travel severely restricted and China facing increasing international isolation, fears of wider economic disruption are growing.

The United States has taken decisive action to protect Americans from the threat of a fast-moving coronavirus while offering help to China, President Donald Trump said on Sunday, but a key adviser said Beijing had not accepted the offers of assistance.

Trump appeared to downplay concerns about the impact in the United States of the flu-like virus that has killed 350 people in China and spread to more than two dozen countries, telling Fox television in an interview, “We’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

Concerns about the virus spurred the United States to declare a public health emergency and bar entry to foreign nationals who have recently visited China.

Under new restrictions here that went into effect at 5 pm ET Sunday, US citizens who have traveled in China within 14 days will be directed to one of eight airports designated for screening, with three more to be added Monday.

“We can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem - the coronavirus,” Trump told Fox during a short interview broadcast on Sunday. He said US officials had offered China “tremendous help” in dealing with the epidemic.

Trump’s national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, in a separate interview, said China had been more open about the coronavirus than it has been in previous crises but had not yet accepted US offers of assistance.

“So far the Chinese have been more transparent certainly than in past crises and we appreciate that,” O’Brien said in an interview with CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

He said Beijing has still not responded to US offers of help from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other health professionals.

World

Death Toll of Coronavirus Rises to 414 in China

Thumbnail

The number of deaths in China’s central Hubei province from a coronavirus outbreak had risen by 64 to 414 as of Monday, Chinese state television reported on Tuesday.

There had been a further 2,345 cases detected in Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak, taking the total in the province to 13,522.

Hubei’s provincial capital of Wuhan, where the virus is thought to have originated, reported 48 new deaths on Monday, accounting for most of the new casualties. A total of 313 people in Wuhan have now died from the virus.

With Wuhan and some other Chinese cities in virtual lockdown, travel severely restricted and China facing increasing international isolation, fears of wider economic disruption are growing.

The United States has taken decisive action to protect Americans from the threat of a fast-moving coronavirus while offering help to China, President Donald Trump said on Sunday, but a key adviser said Beijing had not accepted the offers of assistance.

Trump appeared to downplay concerns about the impact in the United States of the flu-like virus that has killed 350 people in China and spread to more than two dozen countries, telling Fox television in an interview, “We’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

Concerns about the virus spurred the United States to declare a public health emergency and bar entry to foreign nationals who have recently visited China.

Under new restrictions here that went into effect at 5 pm ET Sunday, US citizens who have traveled in China within 14 days will be directed to one of eight airports designated for screening, with three more to be added Monday.

“We can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem - the coronavirus,” Trump told Fox during a short interview broadcast on Sunday. He said US officials had offered China “tremendous help” in dealing with the epidemic.

Trump’s national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, in a separate interview, said China had been more open about the coronavirus than it has been in previous crises but had not yet accepted US offers of assistance.

“So far the Chinese have been more transparent certainly than in past crises and we appreciate that,” O’Brien said in an interview with CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

He said Beijing has still not responded to US offers of help from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other health professionals.

Share this post